This crazy cake is made in one bowl without eggs, milk or butter! And yet, it's wonderfully moist and delicious. Also known as depression cake or wacky cake.
For The Frosting
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar Icing Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
- 3 Tbsp Butter Or Margarine*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp Milk Or Water*
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a 9x9 square baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
Add the water, oil, vanilla and vinegar and mix into a batter. Mix it until just mixed, don't overmix.
Transfer to your prepared square dish and smooth down.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Add all the frosting ingredients to the bowl of your stand mixer and starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth.
Frost the cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles (optional).
- Measure the flour correctly using the spoon and level method - spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level it with a knife. Don't scoop the flour or pack it into the cup. Alternatively weigh your flour on a food scale.
- Use a natural unsweetened cocoa powder like Hersheys.
- If you happen to have milk on hand then you can use milk instead of water in the cake batter. Water works perfectly fine but any milk, including non-dairy options like soy milk and almond milk also work well.
- You can use any vegetable oil instead of canola oil. If you use coconut oil then melt it first.
- The vinegar reacts with the baking soda and causes the cake to rise. Either use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- The Frosting is entirely optional. You can serve this cake without any frosting and just a dusting of powdered sugar on top. Or serve it with custard or chocolate sauce or whipped cream. If you do make the frosting though, then you can use butter or margarine or even coconut oil if that's what you have on hand. And then you can use milk or water. And again any milk, including non-dairy options like soy or almond work great for this frosting.
- Keep the cake covered at room temperature for 3-4 days or covered in the fridge for up to a week.
- Nutritional information includes frosting.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 77mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg