This lentil curry is amazingly delicious and so easy to make it will go straight onto your regular dinner schedule. Creamy, hearty and packed with flavor!
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder Mild
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups Dried Brown Lentils
- 28 ounces Canned Chopped Tomato 2 cans
- 28 ounces Canned Coconut Milk 2 Cans, Full Fat, Unsweetened
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Basmati Rice or other rice
- Fresh Chopped Basil
Add the olive oil to a pot along with the chopped onion, crushed garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add the lentils and toss them with the onions and spices.
Add the canned chopped tomato, coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and cooked.
Add in the coconut sugar for flavor balance and some salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with basmati rice and some fresh chopped basil.
- Dried brown lentils are the best to use in this curry though green lentils will also work. You can also use red lentils but they cook much faster so keep a close watch on them if you do use them.
- Leftovers will keep very well in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. It's also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove.
- Nutritional information is for lentil curry only and does not include rice.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 466kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 6mg