Tomato Basil Soup
This tomato basil soup is ultra creamy and delicious and packed with flavor. There is no need to roast the tomatoes first so it comes together fast!
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 2 Large Carrots Chopped
- 4 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 28 oz Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes 2 cans of 14oz (400g) each
- 6 Large Fresh Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 4 cups Fresh Basil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
Add the olive oil to a pot along with the chopped onion, crushed garlic, dried oregano, dried basil and red chili flakes and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add in the chopped carrots, celery, the cans of whole peeled tomatoes and chopped fresh tomatoes and mix together.
Add in the vegetable stock and bring it to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and let it simmer until the vegetables are all soft and cooked.
Remove from the heat and add in the fresh basil and coconut sugar and stir in until the basil is wilted.
Blend directly in the pot with an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender then transfer to a blender jug in stages and blend until smooth, returning to the pot when it's all blended.
Add in the cream and stir in. Taste test and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Any type of large fresh ripe tomatoes will work great in this soup. We have tried Beef tomatoes and Roma tomatoes and both worked great. Feel free to use any large ripe red tomato variety that you can get hold of.
- You can use brown sugar instead of coconut sugar if that's what you have on hand. This is just to balance the flavors.
- MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: You can easily make this dairy free by using canned coconut cream instead of dairy cream. It works wonderfully in this soup.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge and consume within 3-4 days. It is also freezer friendly if you want to freeze it.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 417mg | Potassium: 963mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 7360IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 3mg