This classic hummus recipe is so easy to make! It's creamy and smooth and simply divine. Seriously the only hummus recipe you'll ever need!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 15 oz Canned Chickpeas 1 can
- ⅓ cup Tahini
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 4 Tbsp Cold Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
For Serving (Optional):
- Drizzle Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- Parsley Freshly chopped
- Sprinkle Paprika
- Sprinkle Sesame Seeds
- Toasted Pita Breads
Place the freshly squeezed lemon juice into a bowl or measuring jug and then add the crushed garlic cloves and let the garlic soak in the lemon juice for a few minutes.
Drain the can of chickpeas and add the chickpeas to the food processor along with the tahini, lemon juice and crushed garlic, and 2 tablespoons of the cold water. Process until chunky.
Add in the salt, cumin, olive oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cold water and process until smooth. Let the food processor run a few minutes more than you think you need so that the hummus can become really smooth.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, sesame seeds, a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh chopped parsley. Serve with pita breads or raw veggies for dipping.
- Soaking the crushed garlic in the fresh lemon juice first will take some of the bite out of the raw garlic without losing any of the flavor. It's also very important to use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- It's very important to use a great quality tahini. It should taste good on its own. Soom is a great brand and you can get it on Amazon.
- Extra virgin olive oil is a must. Blend it into the hummus and drizzle some more over the top when serving.
- Let the food processor run an extra few minutes. Let it run for a few minutes longer than you think you need to. This will result in really smooth hummus.
Keep leftovers in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days.
- If you want to use cooked chickpeas (not canned) then this is 1 and ½ cups of cooked chickpeas.
Serving: 1Serve | Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg