The most delicious apple crisp recipe ever! So easy to make and absolutely divine served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Apple crisp is definitely a staple recipe! It’s well suited to pretty much any special occasion, it’s really easy to throw together, and it’s always a hit.
Serve it warm with either fresh whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream and everyone loves you. And your house smells divine too. So there’s lots of great reasons to make it.
How To Make Apple Crisp
Full instructions and measurements can always be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Start off by making the filling. Peel and chop apples into cubes and place them into a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, all purpose flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, a little lemon juice and vanilla and toss together until the apples are properly coated.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray and then place the apples into the dish and smooth down.
- Now it’s time to prepare your topping. Add all purpose flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Melt some butter in the microwave and add the butter and some vanilla to your dry ingredients and mix in.
- Use your fingers to crumble the topping over the top of the apples.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for 50 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
What Kind of Apples Are Best?
You can really use any kind of apple, but I consider Granny Smith apples to work the best in this dessert. They are a little tart as well as sweet and they’re very firm so they hold their shape really well in baking.
Make It Dairy Free
Simply use a vegan butter like Earth Balance or a dairy free margarine to make this apple crisp dairy free. Serve it with dairy-free whipped cream or dairy-free ice cream.
Make It Gluten-Free
Use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend like Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour to replace the regular flour in this recipe. Also make sure your rolled oats are gluten-free and then this recipe can easily be made gluten-free.
Storing and Freezing
Leftovers keep very well covered in the fridge for 5 days. You can reheat a slice in the microwave as you like, top it with whipped cream or ice cream and you go straight to food heaven.
The baked apple crisp can also be frozen. Let it cool completely before freezing and then you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then warm in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes until warmed through.
More Delicious Desserts
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
- No-Bake Chocolate Tart
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- The Most Divine Chocolate Cake
- Fudgy Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Add the peeled and cubed apples to a mixing bowl and add in the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Toss together until the apples are well coated.
- Transfer the apples to the prepared baking dish and smooth down evenly.
- Prepare your topping. Add the flour, rolled oats, sugar and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and mix together. Add in the melted butter and vanilla and mix until well mixed.
- Crumble the topping with your fingers over the top of the apples, spreading it in an even layer over the top of the apples.
- Place into the oven and bake for 50 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling up the sides.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter for around 10 minutes before serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.