This delicious homemade hot chocolate is pretty much like drinking liquid chocolate in a mug. It’s seriously the best hot chocolate you’ve ever tasted!
When it’s cold outside (or even just a little chilly) a nice hot mug of hot chocolate is exactly what you want.
And this is so good you’ll be looking for reasons to make it.
It’s also really easy to throw together and tastes like liquid chocolate!
How To Make Hot Chocolate
- It’s super easy. Just add milk to a saucepan along with some cocoa powder and whisk together while you heat it until the cocoa is well mixed in. Then keep stirring until it reaches a simmer (just a simmer, don’t let it come to a full boil).
- Remove from the heat and add in some chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) sugar and vanilla and whisk in.
- Pour out into two mugs, top with some whipped cream (optional) and serve.
Sugar: We added two tablespoons of white sugar so it works out to one tablespoon per serve. This might be too sweet for some, so you may want to taste test and see what the perfect amount of sweetness is for your tastes. I have a sweet tooth so this works great for me. Brown sugar or coconut sugar are also fine to use. Or you can omit the sugar altogether.
Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips: The type of chocolate you use will also have an impact on how sweet it is. We used a dark chocolate that is still very good tasting and sweet to melt in, but if you were to use a more bitter variety of dark chocolate then you may need extra sugar to compensate. So taste test as you go. Chocolate chips are also completely fine to use.
How To Serve Hot Chocolate
Serve it topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings! Or go wild and add some mini marshmallows in too.
Make It Dairy Free
It’s actually really easy to make this hot chocolate dairy-free. All you have to do is replace the dairy milk with a non-dairy option such as soy milk or almond milk or any plant milk that heats well. And then use a dairy-free dark chocolate or dairy free chocolate chips to melt in.
Top it with a dairy free whipped cream like whipped coconut cream.
More Chocolate Recipes!
- The Most Divine Chocolate Cake
- The Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Best Ever Fudgy Brownies
- Chocolate Cookies
For Topping (Optional):
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- Add the milk and cocoa powder to a saucepan and heat together, whisking until well combined. Then keep stirring until it reaches a simmer (don't let it come to a full boil).
- Remove from the heat and add in the sugar, vanilla extract and chocolate and whisk it in until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour out into two mugs. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings (optional).
- You can also use brown sugar or coconut sugar or any other sweetener of your choice. Taste test as you may prefer less sugar.
- You can chop up any good tasting chocolate and use that or chocolate chips whatever is easier.
- Make it Dairy-Free: You can easily make this dairy-free by using a dairy-free milk such as soy milk (works great for this) or almond milk or any other plant milk that heats well. Use dairy free dark chocolate or dairy free chocolate chips and top with a dairy free whipped cream such as whipped coconut cream.
- Nutritional information does not include the optional toppings of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.