This delicious homemade ranch dressing is so creamy and packed with flavor. It’s also so easy to make from scratch. A perfect salad dressing or dip!
I love how easy it is to whip up a batch of ranch dressing anytime! It’s so good you won’t want to buy bottled ranch again.
It’s also made with simple ingredients and it’s the best thing to liven up a salad or use it as a dip for fresh veggies or some chips.
Definitely also check out our simple vinaigrette which is also amazing on salads!
How To Make Ranch Dressing
- It’s so simple!
- Just add some mayonnaise to a bowl along with some Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and buttermilk (can also use a homemade version, more on that below).
- Add in some dried dill, dried parsley, dried chives, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and some white distilled vinegar.
- Mix everything together.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Buttermilk is something that you might not have on hand and if you don’t necessarily want to drive to the store to get some, you can always make a homemade buttermilk substitute.
We have tested this recipe with proper buttermilk as well as the homemade buttermilk substitute and both work just fine! For the homemade version just mix some lemon juice with room temperature milk and let it curdle into buttermilk. Easy!
Greek Yogurt is awesome in this homemade ranch but you can substitute it for sour cream if that’s what you have on hand.
Dried parsley and dried chives can be replaced with fresh chopped parsley and chives if you prefer! We have tried it both ways and it works great either way.
Full Fat Ingredients
You definitely want to use a full fat creamy mayonnaise for your homemade ranch. Same thing for the Greek yogurt. It should be real Greek yogurt which is high in fat and ultra creamy. Don’t use a low fat imitation Greek yogurt.
If you want to replace the Greek yogurt with sour cream then use a full fat version of that too.
How to Make Ahead or Store Homemade Ranch Dressing
This is actually quite ideal to make a few hours in advance or even the day before because the flavors get even better after chilling in the fridge for a few hours.
If you have leftovers then store them in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within one week.
- Add the mayonnaise to a mixing bowl along with the Greek yogurt, buttermilk, dried dill, dried parsley, dried chives, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and white distilled vinegar.
- Mix or whisk everything together. Either serve right away or chill in the fridge for a few hours to intensify the flavors.
- Serve as a dip with fresh chopped veggies or chips or as a salad dressing.
- Use a full fat creamy brand of mayonnaise for the most delicious results.
- Greek yogurt should also be full fat Greek yogurt. You can replace the Greek yogurt with sour cream if you prefer.
- You can use proper buttermilk if you have it on hand or you can make homemade buttermilk. We have made it both ways and it’s equally good either way. To make a homemade version of buttermilk add 1 tsp of lemon juice to a measuring jug and then add room temperature milk up to the 1/4 cup (60ml) line. Let it curdle into buttermilk.
- This dressing is ideal to make a few hours ahead or even the day before as chilling in the fridge for a few hours intensifies the flavors.
- Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge and enjoy within 1 week.
- This recipe makes around 1 and 1/4 cups of dressing.